What is a Keto Diet?
The Keto Diet is a specialized diet that involves a reduced intake of carbohydrates and a moderate intake of proteins and a high proportion of fat consumption and the diet is considered to be an accelerated means of weight loss.
The reduction of carbohydrates puts the body into a metabolic state called ketosis. When this happens, your body becomes incredibly efficient at burning fat for energy. It also turns fat into ketones in the liver, which can supply energy for the brain.
Scientific fact: The Keto diet is proven to be 2.2 – 3 X more effective in helping you healthily lose weight so it is evident that the Keto Diet is not just a healthy diet but it’s a healthy lifestyle too.
How Does The Keto Diet Work?
The keto diet plan is based on the simple principle of depleting the carbohydrates, which are the body’s primary source of energy and enable it to burn fat for fuel instead, thereby maximizing weight loss.
When you consume foods that contain carbohydrates, the body converts those carbohydrates into glucose, or blood sugar, which it then uses for energy. Because glucose is the simplest form of energy for the body to use, it’s always used for energy before your body turns to stored fat for fuel.
On a keto diet, the goal is to reduce carbohydrate intake so that the body starts to break down fat for energy. When this occurs, fat is broken down in the liver, thereby producing ketones, which are by-products of your metabolism. These ketones are then used to fuel the body in the absence of glucose.
When you eat less than 50 grams of carbs a day, your body eventually runs out of fuel (blood sugar) it can use quickly. This typically takes 3 to 4 days. Then you’ll start to break down protein and fat for energy, which can make you lose weight.
This whole process is referred to as the term ketosis, a metabolic state that your body enters while you’re successfully on a keto diet.
Keto Diet For Weight Loss
It’s easy to be skeptical when there are so many success stories, but once you look at the science behind the diet and read a little further into the stories of these individuals you’ll see that yes, keto can be an effective tool for weight loss.
Of course, as with any diet (or anything in life!), the results people have seen with the keto diet are individual to their circumstances. Everyone is different and until you start keto you won’t know how your body will react physically, or how easy you may find it to follow mentally.
Some factors that can change how fast you see keto weight loss results are:
- How often you cheat
- Body composition (body fat percentage, height, weight, gender)
- How “cleanly” you eat
- Health conditions
- How active you are
- Metabolic rate (fast, slow)
- How much energy you are able to maintain for daily activities
After your first week of following the keto diet, you will likely see a significant drop in weight. On a “normal” diet with a caloric deficit and regular exercise regime, most people can expect to lose one to two lbs a week, while those following a keto diet typically see a drop of anywhere from two to ten pounds.
Four to five weeks into the diet, you’ll be past feeling the early effects of the diet and hopefully be settling into this new way of eating. If you’re sticking to the diet properly, not cheating too often (ideally not at all), your body will actively be burning fat for energy.
The average monthly weight loss on keto is about four to ten pounds (one to two lbs a week which is considered safe).
Health Benefits Of The Keto Diet
Well, what can be better than a Keto Diet? The Keto Diet or the Ketogenic Diet is a low-carb, moderate protein, and high-fat diet that can help you burn your body fat effectively. It has many benefits for weight loss, health, and performance, as shown in over 50 studies.
While you eat very few carbohydrates on the keto diet, it puts your body in a metabolic state called ketosis, where fat, from your diet and your body, is burned for energy. For this, you need to match up with the number of Macronutrients that are required by your body.
Ketogenic diets can help in the reduction of blood sugar and insulin levels. It shifts the body’s metabolism away from carbs and towards fat and ketones. So apart from being helpful in weight loss, the keto diet offers certain health benefits as well.
The health benefits of the Keto Diet are immense. It helps you lose weight, prevent and control diabetes and high blood sugar levels prevent PCOS in women and prevent various thyroid disorders, and much more. Not only that but Keto also makes you look and feel more youthful all the while taking a natural diet.
Keto For Diabetes
Diabetes has become the world’s biggest health problem. To combat this, many diets have emerged, one of which is the Keto Diet. It has been shown to offer several impressive health benefits including weight loss and regulation in blood sugar levels. Thus, many people turn to this way of healthy eating to reach their weight loss goals.
Keto For PCOS
The researches suggest that insulin resistance and obesity are behind the pathophysiology of the cause of PCOS. The ketogenic diet not only can promote weight loss, but it is insulin-sensitizing. Also, the Keto Diet helps lowering down androgen levels in the body and reducing Facial Hair and Breakouts on the skin as well.
Keto For Thyroid
Untreated hypothyroidism can cause several health problems, such as obesity, joint pain, infertility, and heart disease. The good news is, you can overcome Hypothyroidism with a ketogenic diet. Without going into too much detail, a ketogenic diet simply enables the body to function at a much more efficient level and this may allow for a more balanced production of thyroid hormones.
Other Health Benefits Of Keto Diet
- Energy Levels Rise
- You Will Lose Weight
- Blood Sugar Will Improve
- Triglycerides Will Improve
- HDL Cholesterol Will Improve
- Makes you Feel Energetic
- Treats Cancer Patients
- Reduces Brain Fog
- Reduction Of Inflammation
- Improved Gut Health
- Insulin Resistance Will Be Reduced
- Blood Pressure Will Improve
Types Of Keto Diet
Here, dive into six of the most popular types of the ketogenic diet. If you’re already trying a keto diet or are interested in starting one, you may be wondering which version is for you. That depends on a few factors, including your goals, activity level, and health history.
The Standard Keto Diet Plan
This is the most common type of keto that involves sourcing 75 percent of calories from fat, 20 percent from protein, and 5 percent from carbs. That means limiting carb intake to about 20 to 30 grams (g) of carbs per day.
It’s important to note that while this is the keto diet that most people follow, it’s not the original, or therapeutic, version of keto. That diet consists of slightly different percentages: 80 percent of calories from fat, 15 percent from protein, and 5 percent from carbs.
Who It’s Best For:
People looking to accelerate their weight loss and tap into the other reported health benefits.
The Targeted Keto Diet Plan
The idea of this diet is that you’ll have just enough carbs to fuel your workout and still be able to return to ketosis easily after you cool down. Choose carbs that are easy to digest (for instance, white bread or white rice), and be sure not to add calories to your daily total, simply redistribute them.
The Target Keto Diet helps to increase athletic endurance at a good level. But the diet’s benefits were mainly seen in short-duration, vigorous-intensity exercise, and that results were inconsistent, so it may not be the go-to approach for all athletes.
Who It’s Best For:
This kind is intended for people who frequently engage in intense, muscle-building workouts.
High-Protein Keto Diet Plan
This version may be best for bodybuilders. This calls for increasing the protein intake just a bit. Protein should make up about 30 percent of calories, with the other 65 percent coming from fat and 5 percent from carbs.
Who It’s Best For:
This is meant for those who need protein to help protect muscle mass, like bodybuilders and older people who need to prevent muscle breakdown. It’s also a good option for those who show signs of a protein deficiency.
Cyclical Keto Diet Plan (or ‘Keto Cycling’)
Cyclical keto or keto cycling is cycling in and out of keto. This usually means staying on the diet for five days, followed by one or two days with more carbs. The point of keto cycling is to make it easier for someone to follow.
Who It’s Best For:
This version can be great for those who have a tough time sticking to keto. It can be helpful if someone wants to take a break and have carbs which may not be easy for everyone.
The Lazy Keto Diet Plan
This version has to be the easiest one ever to exist in the keto universe. The sole purpose of the lazy keto diet is to make keto easier to follow. Counting calories, fat, and protein intake for some people can be a little too complicated. But all you track here is carbs.
As long as carbs stay low enough, which will vary by person but is usually below 50 g a day, one will stay in ketosis. As a result, you’ll be able to see the effects associated with being in a metabolic state.
Who It’s Best For:
This is meant for those who are interested in ketosis but don’t want to be bothered with tracking calories, protein, and fat.
Mediterranean Keto Diet Plan
The main emphasis is in the version is on the quality of fats that you’ll be consuming. Unlike the standard keto diet, which doesn’t specify which fats to prioritize, Mediterranean keto diets emphasize options like monounsaturated fatty acids, which may help lower LDL cholesterol, and omega-3s that are anti-inflammatory.
Who It’s Best For:
This is for those who want a flexible approach to healthy eating that is sustainable long term.
Risks Of Keto Diet(Or Just Myths?)
- Keto Diet Leads to Increased Uric Acid Or Damage The Kidneys.
- You Can’t Build Muscle On A Keto Diet.
- Keto Diet Leads To Keto Flu.
- Higher Levels Of Ketones Cause Greater Fat Loss.
- Green Tea Makes You Lose Weight.
- Keto Leads To Constipation.
- Following A Keto Diet Will Shoot Up Your Cholesterol.
- Keto Leads To Nutrient Deficiency.
- Keto Leads To Ketoacidosis.
Foods To Have/Foods Not To Have
- Foods To Have
1. High-fat dressings for salads like Coconut Oil, Olive Oil.
2. Dairy products like High-Fat Cream, Ghee, Butter, Cheese, Paneer.
3. Non-veg favorites like Fish, Lamb, Eggs, Chicken, Mutton.
4. Low-carb Vegetables
5. Low-carb Fruits
6. Nuts, Nut Butter, and Seeds
7. Kinds of milk like Soy, Almond Milk, Coconut Milk.
- Foods To Avoid
1. Foods that are full of Sugar/Honey/Jaggery.
2. Fruits that are high on carbs
4. Carbonated Drinks
5. Grains, Cereals, Legumes, and Pulses
6. Processed Foods
7. Vegetables high on carbs.
A Day Into Keto Lifestyle
- Vegetarian 1 Day Keto Diet Chart
|EVENING SNACK||Bulletproof Coffee|
- Non-Vegetarian 1 Day Keto Diet Chart
|LUNCH||Chicken Malai Tikka|
Green Tea + Almonds
|DINNER||Goan Fish Curry|
- Eggetarian 1 Day Keto Diet Chart
|BREAKFAST||Vegetable Egg Bhurji|
Vegetable Hash With Eggs
|EVENING SNACK||Black Tea + Almonds|
Some Quick Keto Recipes To Satiate Your Taste Buds
Garlic Cloves, Chilies, Pink Himalayan Salt, Ghee, Cumin Seeds, Onion, Olive Oil, Paneer, Coriander.
- Blend 6 garlic cloves, 2 chilies, pink Himalayan salt to taste, and 2-3 tbsp of water.
- Heat a pan with 1 tbsp ghee, add ½ teaspoon cumin seeds and allow the seeds to crackle.
- Fry 30g onions until golden in the pan. Add the sauce prepared above and cook till it becomes thick and the oil separates.
- Add the 100 g paneer diced into pieces for 2-3 minutes.
- Finish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
- Enjoy with your family and friends.
Keto Basil Chicken
500g ground chicken, 5 garlic cloves, 10g shallots, chilies, 1 tbsp soya sauce, 1 tbsp fish sauce, Erythritol or Keto Sweetener, Salt to taste
- Grind together the 5 garlic cloves, 10g shallots, and 2 red chilies.
- Heat the chicken fat in a wok and once it’s nice and hot fry up the ground garlic, shallots and chilies.
- Once the garlic starts to brown then add in the ground chicken and cook. Keep stirring the mixture and break up the chicken so that it doesn’t clump up together.
- Add in the soya sauce, fish sauce, and sweetener. Also, season with white pepper and salt.
- Once the chicken starts releasing its liquid cook till the sauce is almost dried out.
- Turn off the heat and add in the fresh basil and mix well till the basil wilts down.
- Serve in lettuce cups with a deep-fried egg.
- For the fried egg just cook it in a wok on high heat till the edges turn nice and crispy. You need to make sure there is plenty of oil in the wok. You are pretty much deep-frying the egg.
Keto Fried Eggs
1 tbsp butter, 3 eggs, Pink Himalayan Salt, Pepper.
- Heat 1 tbsp butter in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Crack your 3 eggs straight into the pan. You can also crack them into a measuring cup and carefully pour them into the pan to avoid splattering of hot grease.
- Leave the eggs to fry on one side and cover the pan with a lid to make sure they get cooked on top.
- Flip the eggs over after a few minutes and cook for another minute.
- Season with pink Himalayan salt to taste and pepper. Serve!
Weight Loss Without Workout
So the question that may arise in your mind would be, “Does the Keto Diet work for Weight Loss without Workout?” Well, the answer is yes, as the diet works for weight loss without a workout. Even with the busiest schedules, it’s really easy to stick to the diet and further achieve your desired weight.
Following the Keto Diet, you can lose weight without exercise and it’s the most optimal way to lose fat and keep it off. There are many people in the keto space with amazing transformations that did not add in any exercise.
In particular, refined carbohydrates negatively impact metabolism and stimulate neural addiction mechanisms, which facilitate weight gain and obesity. There is abundant evidence that obesity increases the risk of elevated blood sugar.
Similarly, there is ample evidence that weight loss mitigates those risk factors. Obesity and has become the world’s biggest health problems. At least 2.8 million adults die from obesity-related causes each year, and not just this, it can lead to a variety of other health problems too.
People require knowledge about the modern lifestyle factors that prevent effective weight management. Without this knowledge and the associated practical application of lifestyle choices that prevent weight gain, becoming overweight or obese appears to be an unavoidable consequence of living a modern lifestyle.
Best Keto Transformations To Look Up To
- Deepak Reversed His Diabetes With Keto
- Aditya Managed Hypothyroidism With Keto
- Mayura Lost Her Postpartum Weight Gain With Keto
- Dheeraj Became Fat To Fit With Keto
- Anuvrat Lost His Stubborn Fat And Built Muscle With Keto
- Nivedita Scrapped Out Her Plateau And Lost Weight With Keto
Common Questions Asked By Beginners
Does Keto Require Elaborate Efforts?
We at Keto India often get asked whether the Keto diet requires elaborate preparations or not. We answer that it is a lifestyle change so it may require some commitment level from your side. But, otherwise, we can assure you that the Keto diet is as easy to prepare like a normal diet.
The Keto helps with an accelerated weight loss and can help prevent obesity and the after-effects of the same. The keto diet has become a popular choice among people who want to lose weight, improve their level of fitness or overall health.
Does Keto Fit Into Hectic Schedules?
The best part is the Keto Diet works wonders for people even with the busiest of schedules. It’s really easy to stick to the diet and further achieve your desired weight.
Not only this diet is easy to prepare and scalable but has immense benefits attached to it. We’d like to invite you on a discovery call with us at Keto India, where we can guide you through the Keto Diet in a proper manner.
Diets can tend to get a bit tough to stick to after a point. People almost give up on their transformation journies because of not being able to follow their diets. They leave diets that they started in the hope of becoming fit once because of several reasons.
What About Meal Preferences?
This way their commitment issues with following the diet get scrapped up and always remember, we’ll take every ritual, religious or habitual preference of yours in mind before planning the Keto diet plan for you that fits your lifestyle.
How To Keep Up With Macros?
Calculating your Macros can be a pretty tough job. Also because it can get tough while maintaining the diet on your own. You may end up eating more than you should or vice versa. This situation can probably kick you out of Ketosis.
However, you may want to try out the Keto diet plan on your own. This is a good enough initiative and we’re proud of you for thinking this way. But, there are a couple of reasons why the first switch to a Keto diet must be consulted with a certified Keto Expert.
How Can Keto India Help?
We at Keto India believe that a diet is not just a way of healthy eating but also is a healthy change in lifestyles. This is the reason behind people sticking to their diets for a long period. They eventually become habitual and because of which they religiously stick to the diet.
Don’t lose hope folks! That’s where Keto India gets in your picture to solve this for you! We have a whole team of Certified Experts on our panel who will help you throughout the diet.
We will assign you a personal nutritionist who makes sure to keep you motivated and encouraged to stay on track while on the diet. The nutritionist will monitor your diet and will make sure all your body needs are met by the diet.
Basis extensive learning amongst our clients, we’ve found that on average that people lose a minimum of 5-7 kgs in a month, 10-12 kgs in 3 months, and 15-20 kgs in about 6 months.
Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Do It On Your Own
1. When you switch to the Keto Diet, you’ll be consuming high amounts of fats and we need to make sure your body is in a deep state of Ketosis. Ketosis enables your body for burning fats to produce energy. If the fat consumption isn’t enough, your body will not produce enough Ketones.
2. If your body isn’t producing enough Ketones, your body will not get into Ketosis. Hence your body may not be able to produce the energy that it needs and you may end up getting sick or weak.
3. Keto diet also isn’t just about keeping the fat consumption high and the carb consumption low in your diet. The diet also needs to be moderate on proteins in the right advised proportions and also micronutrients like vitamins and minerals.
4. Effects of the Keto diet on your own may lead to hair loss because of a lack of protein intake or even constipation because of a lack of fiber intake. And we know you don’t want to face that, right?
Hence, you need to get an expert who is certified.
Keto is all about weight loss and improved health. So what’s stopping you from starting your keto diet journey? Get yourself started today and Stay tuned for more such ketogenic transformation stories, health content, and recipes! Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram for the daily dose of the Keto Lifestyle!