This portobello pizza recipe is super easy to make and tastes just like pizza. Enjoy a low-carb mushroom pizza with the best toppings that’s ready in less than 10 minutes. If you’re a pizza lover and looking for a keto replacement, this is a great alternative.
Portobello mushrooms are highly nutritious and are a great vegetable to eat on a ketogenic diet because according to the USDA, one cup provides 5 g carbohydrates, 2.7 g of dietary fiber, and plenty of vitamins and minerals including magnesium, potassium, niacin (vitamin B3) and riboflavin (vitamin B2).
If you are trying to follow a vegan keto lifestyle, portobello mushrooms are a great substitute since they are high in protein, low in carbs, and the texture is similar to meat.
- 6 portobello mushroom caps, stems removed, washed, and dried with a paper towel
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 6 teaspoons Italian seasoning (or a dried oregano and basil leaf blend), divided
- 3/4 cup pizza sauce (garlic and herb)
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-fat shredded mozzarella cheese (or a pizza cheese blend)*
- 30 miniature-sized pepperonis**
- 6 cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced thinly
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to broil / grill settings on high heat.
- Arrange the oven shelf to the middle of your oven.
Combine the oil, garlic, and 4 teaspoons of the seasoning in a small bowl.
- Brush the bottoms of each mushroom with the garlic oil mixture and place each mushroom, oil side down, on a lightly greased baking sheet/tray.
- Fill each mushroom with 2 tablespoons of the pizza sauce per cap, 1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese, 6 pepperoni miniatures, and tomato slices.
- Broil/grill until the cheese has melted and is golden in color (about 8 minutes).
- To serve, sprinkle with the remaining Italian seasoning (or mixed herbs), and season with salt and pepper to taste.
We just love this dish and we hope that you will feel the same after you eat it. Well for more such amazing and delicious keto recipes, stay tuned with us. And go follow us on our Instagram Handle and subscribe to our Youtube Channel!