Pizza night has never been the same at our house since we began cooking our low-carb pizza with a meat crust. Mediterranean Meatzza is protein-packed, filling, and topped with fresh Mediterranean ingredients.
So Whether you are trying to cut down on the carbs or eliminating gluten from your diet, pizza may be a forbidden food. But what if the crust was created out of meat instead of the regular flour-based dough?
The general meat base for a pizza made with a meat crust, also called a “meatza,” is a pounded chicken breast, but this recipe incorporates ground beef for something a little distinct. You can prepare the meat crust in the oven or cook it on the grill. The grill method is a bit more time-taking, but a lot tastier—it creates a nice smoky, grilled flavor.
This recipe calls for no added sugar pizza sauce or spaghetti sauce to maintain the calorie count down. The sugar-free spaghetti sauce may be feasible to find in the grocery store and works just as well. When it comes to the seasonings, think healthy and load up on the veggies—you will make the pizza a complete meal filled with all the nutrients you need.
If you like the idea of a doughless pizza crust, there are many other options, such as a portabello mushroom crust, egg crust, and deep-dish bell pepper crust.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon Greek seasoning
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup drained water-packed artichoke hearts, chopped
- 1/3 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup Greek olives
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, couple turkey, egg, and Greek seasoning; mix lightly but thoroughly. Depress onto the bottom and 1-1/2-in. upsides of a greased 10-in. cast-iron or another ovenproof skillet. Cook, without stirring, over medium heat until the bottom is no longer pink. Carefully drain drippings from the pan, leaving meat in the pan.
- Bake until edges is no longer pink, 8-10 minutes. Brush with pizza sauce; cast with mozzarella, artichokes, tomatoes, olives, and feta. Bake until cheese is melted, 3-5 minutes longer. Cool 5 minutes before topping with basil.
1 piece: 272 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 4g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 29g protein, 122mg cholesterol, 904mg sodium
We love this recipe and we know you will too. This is as easy as it gets, so what is your excuse now? Get yourself started today and Stay tuned for more such keto weight loss journeys, health content, and recipes! Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram for the daily dose of the Keto Lifestyle!