Healthy meats are a big part of the keto diet. Meat is an excellent source of protein. Make sure to eat not too much meat and take the right amount of portion which is required as the keto diet is a high-fat diet. Here below let’s get to know more about meat on keto, types of meat, and few meat recipes.
What is Meat?
Meat is the flesh of animals that humans prepare and consume as food. There are a variety of meat- red meat, white meat, and processed meat.
This comes from mammals and contains more of the iron-rich protein myoglobin in its tissue than white meat. Examples include:
- beef (cattle)
- pork (pigs and hogs)
- veal (calves)
- game, such as bison, elk, and venison (deer)
This is generally lighter in color than red meat and comes from birds and small games. Examples include:
- wild birds, such as quail and pheasant
Processed meat has been modified through salting, curing, smoking, drying, or other processes to preserve it or enhance flavor. Examples include:
- hot dogs
- luncheon meats, such as bologna, salami, and pastrami
Benefits of Meat-
- Protein found in meat is “complete” because it contains all the amino acids essential for health.
- Mounting, recent evidence shows that lean meat protein could help maintain healthy cardiovascular function.
- Animal products like meat are the only natural sources of Vitamin B12, which promotes brain development in children and helps your nervous system function properly.
- High protein diets that include lean meat have been shown to promote long-term weight loss better than other diets.
- High-quality protein, e.g. meat and poultry, have been shown to prevent muscle loss as we age more effectively than other protein foods.
- Zinc helps maintain optimal immune function and promotes wound healing. Beef is the top dietary source of zinc in the diet.
Meat on Keto
Meat is considered staple food on a ketogenic diet. Fresh meat contains no carbs and is rich in B vitamins and several important minerals. They’re also a great source of high-quality protein, which has been shown to help preserve muscle mass during a very low carb diet
One study in older women found that consuming a diet high in fatty meat led to HDL (good) cholesterol levels that were 5% higher than on a low fat, high carb diet
It’s best to choose grass-fed meat, if possible. That’s because animals that eat grass produce meat with higher amounts of omega-3 fats, conjugated linoleic acid, and antioxidants than meat from grain-fed animals.
Preparing meat for keto
There’s no One True Way to cook meat on keto – lots of fat-heavy cuts taste delicious after a slow braise, but as long as your recipe doesn’t have too many carbs, it’s all good! So check out or one of our other tasty keto meat recipes!
For leaner cuts of meat (like chicken breast, ground turkey, or pork tenderloin), good cooking methods include anything that adds fat:
- Curries or braces with coconut milk
- Butter or cream sauces
- Lean meats wrapped or stuffed with bacon
- Avocado salsa on top
- Anything with cheese
Some Meat Recipes-
- Keto Meatloaf with Gravy
- Keto Butter chicken
- Chicken nuggets
- Chicken salad
- Keto beef with broccoli
- Pork chops
- Sesame Pork with green beans
You can have a variety of meat options on keto. Choose the meat which you like and make delectable recipes!