The key to great low carb snacks is not only that it’s low on carbs, but also is delicious enough so you don’t feel confined by your diet at all. Snacks are a great way to bump up your fat intake on the keto diet, yet also to satiate your taste buds.
Snacking shouldn’t happen every day, though. A major advantage of keto is that it often prevents hunger for hours after meals. If you routinely need to snack, try adding more fat and protein to your meals.
Feeling hungry on your keto diet, but it’s not meal-time? Then low carb snacks can be the answer. Snacks in your routine, allowing you to delay meals to fit your busy schedule.
Ready-To-Eat Low Carb Snacks
- Protein Bars
- Lindt Dark Chocolate
- Nut Butters
Low Carb Snacks That Are Whole Foods
- Greek Yogurt
Satisfy your cravings with these tasty options. Almost no preparation required! Keto basics like avocados, olives,eggs, sliced cucumbers, and greek yogurt to keep healthy fats front and center while minimizing carbs.
Low Carbs Fruits
Small amounts of fresh or frozen berries are okay from time to time, but too many can take you out of ketosis. Best keto choices are strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries, and blueberries.
Biggest Mistakes To Avoid While Snacking On Keto
Eating Bad Fats
Eating enough fats is half the battle. The other one is eating the right types of fats. All fats are not produced equal and because fats are the foundation of the ketogenic diet, it’s crucial that you’re consuming the right fat sources.
Healthy fats to eat on keto include Animal fats, preferably from pastured or grass-fed animals, Olive oil, Monounsaturated fats, like from avocado, Coconut oil.
Avoid unhealthy fats like Cottonseed oil, Grapeseed oil, Safflower oil, Margarine, Canola oil, Processed vegetable oils, Any trans fats.
Having Too Much Dairy
While dairy products may seem like the perfect low-carb and high-fat food source, they can be extremely easy to overeat. If you aren’t keeping an eye on the amount of dairy you eat, you may end up going over your calorie goal for the day.
Besides, dairy contains a definite type of protein that can lead to unwanted insulin spikes. When this takes place, you may get kicked out of ketosis. Many dairy products also consists sugar, so it’s important to always check the nutrition label when purchasing dairy products.
Not Drinking Enough Water
Staying hydrated should be a foremost priority no matter what diet you are following. But when your body is burning fats for fuel, water intake should be increased. As carbohydrates are responsible for storing water in the body.
When you restrict your carb intake, water is excreted along with electrolytes which means they must be replenished. Individuals like to gauge their hydration levels by urine color. If it’s a darker yellow, drink more water. If it’s clear, you’re in the clear.
Going Low On Sodium
If you don’t switch your sodium on keto, you may fall victim to the dreaded keto flu, which is the main cause of not replacing your electrolytes. Sodium is evacuated along with water when your body is running on ketones for energy.
To avert this, increase your sodium intake by salting every meal, adding pink Himalayan sea salt to your water and sipping on it throughout the day, as well as drinking broth from bouillon cubes.
Low Carb Snacks Desi Recipes
Ingredients: 100g Cauliflower, 30g Cream, 70g Chicken, 20g Parmesan Cheese, 3 Tbsp Olive Oil, Pink Himalayan Salt, 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375° and butter a 9”-x-13” baking dish.
- In a large bowl, toss 100g cauliflower with 2 tbsp olive oil and season with pink salt.
- Place cauliflower onto two large baking sheets and roast until tender and lightly golden, about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot over medium heat, heat 30g cream. Remove from heat, add hot sauce if using and season with salt and pepper, then fold in roasted cauliflower. Taste and season more if needed.
- Transfer mixture to a prepared baking dish. In a medium bowl stir to combine chicken, parmesan, and 1 tbsp olive oil. Sprinkle the mixture over cauliflower and cheese.
- Bake until golden for 15 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley before serving.
Cauliflower Makhani Bites
Ingredients: 200g Cauliflower, Pink Himalayan Salt, 1 Tsp Tandoori Masala, 3 Tbsp Olive Oil, 1/2 Tsp Cumin Seeds, 1 Tbsp Ginger-Garlic Paste, 1/2 Tsp Cumin Powder, 1/2 Tsp Coriander Powder, 1 Tbsp Coconut Milk
- Cut and clean cauliflower into florets and season with pink Himalayan Salt to taste, 1 tsp tandoori masala, and 1 tbsp olive oil
- Bake for 10-15 minutes at 200C in the oven
- Heat 2Tbsp olive oil in a saucepan and fry the ½ tsp cumin seeds and 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- Add in the tomato puree, ½ tsp garam masala, ½ tsp cumin powder, and ½ tsp coriander powder and cover and cook for 10 minutes
- Add in the 1 tbsp coconut milk, coriander and season to taste
- Remove cauliflower and pour over the sauce made above.
- Bake for another 10 minutes till cooked all the way through.
Ingredients: 100g Lettuce, 30g Mustard, 20g Keto Mayo, 60g Paneer, Cheese Slice.
- Wash 100g lettuce thoroughly in running water and set them aside to dry the leaves.
- Spread the mustard on the lettuce. You can also replace mustard with hot sauce (sugar-free), BBQ sauce (Keto friendly), or a Keto mayo and zesty cilantro.
- Then place on fried paneer, a slice of cheese, and then just roll it up.
- Enjoy your wrap.
Ingredients: 200gms Cheddar cheese or Provolone cheese or Edam cheese, shredded, ½ tsp paprika powder.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper brushing oil over it. Now add the shredded cheese in small amounts onto the parchment paper. Make sure the shredded cheese is spread with proper spacing.
- Sprinkle paprika powder and put the baking tray into the oven. Bake the cheese for about 10 minutes based upon how thick the cheese is. Do not overheat cheese to avoid bitterness.
- Remove the baking tray from the oven and keep it aside on a rack to cool. Remove the cheese chips once they have cooled.
- Your keto cheese chips are ready to serve.
Meat And Cheese Chips
Ingredients: 4 oz. salami, about 5 slices per serving, 4 oz. parmesan cheese, grated, 1 tsp paprika powder.
- Preheat the oven to 225°C, or set your oven to broil (high heat).
- Place the slices of salami on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Allow some space between the slices.
- Place a heap of shredded cheese on top of every slice, about 1–2 tablespoons. Sprinkle the paprika powder or dry herbs on top for additional flavors.
- Place in the oven; bake until the cheese turns golden brown and bubbly. Check often so they don’t burn.
- Remove from the oven and let cool. Once cool, the chips are crunchy and ready to be enjoyed.
Nutritional Facts Per Serving: Calories- 139, Fats- 11.4 g, Carbohydrates- 0.4 g, Proteins- 8.6 g
In a nutshell
Giving up on our favorite non-keto snacks is one of the hardest parts about going to Keto but you don’t have to worry about this. We have got you covered with these amazing Low Carb Snacks.
We love them and we know you will too. This is as easy as it gets, so what is your excuse now? Get yourself started today and Stay tuned for more such keto weight loss stories, health content, and recipes! Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram for the daily dose of the Keto Lifestyle.