Fermented foods are not only beneficial for our health but are also great for a keto diet. If you follow a lazy ketogenic diet plan and avoid all dairy, you can still enjoy the health benefits of probiotics and enzymes by making this Coconut Kefir Recipe.
Coconut Kefir is a probiotic-rich non-dairy drink made by fermenting coconut milk and kefir starter cultures. Apart from coconut milk kefir, other sources of probiotics are sauerkraut, kimchi, or raw full-fat yogurt if you follow a primal approach.
How about carbs in kefir and other fermented foods? Fermented foods are naturally low in carbs. This is a side effect of the fermentation process where bacteria feed on carbohydrates. As a result, the further the fermentation, the fewer carbs it will contain.
Tips & Substitutions
Instead of kefir starter cultures, you can use 2 tablespoons of kefir grains or 2 capsules of your favorite probiotics. If you use coconut milk from a can, use the whole can, not just the “creamed” part on top.
Ingredients (makes 4 cups)
- 4 cups Homemade Coconut Milk
- 1 sachet kefir starter cultures
- Optional: filtered water to thin down (will result in more volume)
- If the cream in your coconut milk has separated from the water, shake well or stir with a non-metal spoon. Add the kefir starter and shake or mix until combined.
- Cover it loosely and leave at room temperature for 24-48 hours in the kitchen or place in the oven (only with the light switched on – do not turn the oven on). The best temperature for making kefir is 22 C – 30 C (72 F – 86 F).
- Taste the kefir in 24 hours and leave to culture for up to 48 hours if needed. When done, shake before use and store in the fridge for up to 2 days. You can make a new batch by using about 3 tablespoons of the cultured mixture and mixing it with more coconut milk.
- Optionally, add your favorite low-carb sweetener, unsweetened vanilla extract, cinnamon, or berries and make a smoothie. Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
We love this recipe and we know you will too. This is as easy as it gets, so what is your excuse now? Get yourself started today and Stay tuned for more such keto weight loss journeys, health content, and recipes! Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram for the daily dose of the Keto Lifestyle!