Well you see, Peda is a popular Indian sweet generally made in thick, semi-solid pieces. These originated in the city of Mathura in present-day Uttar Pradesh, India. That does not mean that you have to avoid it if you are on a Keto Diet! Yes, this Keto Malai Peda is a perfect low-carb sweet for a festival.
The recipe’s primary ingredients are khoa, sugar, and traditional flavorings, including cardamom seeds, pistachio nuts, and saffron. Also, the texture varies from a rich white to a caramel color.
So to make these delicious peas keto-friendly, you just need few ingredients. These will be soft and a little crumbly when you make them, but firm and full of flavor once refrigerated.
- 400 g ricotta cheese
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 160 g whey protein powder, preferably unflavoured, or vanilla
- 1/3 cup powdered Erythritol or any low carb sweetener or to taste
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- butter or ghee for greasing
- Optional: 1 tsp sugar-free vanilla extract
- Optional: chopped or whole almonds for topping
- First, melt the butter in the pan, keep the stove on low flame.
- Now add the ricotta cheese and mix with the butter. So keep mixing it till the cheese melts.
- To this- add the sweetener and keep mixing it, ensuring the mixture does not stick to the pan.
- Now add the protein powder, a half cup at a time, until the mixture starts to thicken. Now keep stirring ensuring there are no lumps, and add the remaining powder. Exactly after 5 minutes of cooking, the mixture gets thick. Now add in the vanilla essence and cardamom powder and give it a good mix.
- Now let the mixture cool, so that you can shape them into balls. Oil your palms with butter or ghee and start shaping the lumpy mixture into small balls and pressing them slightly in the middle. Make 20 medium-shaped or 25 small-shaped balls according to your own preference.
- Alternatively, top each ball with chopped or whole almonds. Now keep the protein balls refrigerated for up to a week, or freeze for up to 3 months. Serve after letting them defrost in the fridge overnight.
- Calories- 80
- Carbs- 1g
- Protein- 8.6g
- Fat- 4.6g
The delicious Indian-style protein balls are the ideal post-workout snack. These keto malai pedas are delicious and easy to prepare at home.