All you need is just 4 ingredients from your kitchen and 5 minutes of your time, you can make homemade mayonnaise. Mayonnaise is simply a suspension of oil and egg yolks, with a little acidity and salt added to brighten the flavors. Here’s the basic recipe:
How To Make Homemade Mayonnaise
Time: 5 minutes
Makes: 1 cup
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature.
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice. (or vinegar)
- 1 cup of neutral-flavored oil. (like light olive oil, grapeseed oil, walnut or sweet almond oil)
- A pinch of sea salt.
- Gather all your ingredients together.
- Separate the eggs. Save the egg whites for another purpose and place the egg yolks in a small bowl with high sides.
- Pour the fresh lemon juice and egg yolks into the bowl andwhisk them well.
- Slowly pour the few drops of oil into the bowl while whisking constantly. Once the mayonnaise has started to condense, pour the oil in a slow and steady stream.
- Add about a teaspoon of water at a time to soften the mayonnaise if required.
- Once all the oil has been mixed in, the mayonnaise should be thick and fluffy, with your whisk forming ribbons through the mixture. Season it carefully with fine grain sea salt.
Store this mayonnaise in the fridge in a covered container for 3 days.
Tips For Making Homemade Mayonnaise
- Don’t use Cold eggs will often result in mayonnaise that does not thicken.
- Always add lemon juice as it helps breakdown the protein in the egg yolks so they emulsify better.
- A few drops of oil at a time is best until you notice the mayonnaise starting to thicken. Once it has started to thicken you can pour the oil in a little quicker.
- Add only a tiny pinch of the sea salt at a time. Mayonnaise can become too salty very easily.
- Use freshly squeezed lemon juice as the Bottled lemon juice will give your mayonnaise a funny flavor.
- Use good-quality eggs: Because this condiment is made with raw eggs.
We love this recipe and we know you will too. This is as easy as it gets, so what is your excuse now? Get yourselfstarted today and Stay tuned for more such keto weight loss stories, health content, and recipes! Also, don’t forget to follow us onInstagram for the daily dose of the Keto Lifestyle.