Swirled chocolate peppermint frosting is so appealing. You’ll love piping it on and eating it off! This dessert is Keto, Paleo, GAPS, and low-carb, with just slight variations for each diet. The chocolate mint cupcakes are moist and good! The frosting is two flavors: Both are minty, fun, and chocolatey-good, to create a swirl that’s so pretty!
The chocolate mint cupcakes themselves are dairy-free, but there are a couple of options: –
If you prefer to use butter or ghee instead of coconut oil, that works great.
- muffin tin
Chocolate Cupcakes (dairy-free)
- 3/4 cup coconut butter warm
- 2/3 cup sweetener of choice Monkfruit Sweetener
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted and warm, or other liquid fat: melted warm butter/ghee, melted warm lard, avocado oil
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 eggs at room temperature (not cold); you can do this by placing cold eggs in a glass with hot tap water for 30 minutes
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup coconut milk full fat, warm (not cold), or full-fat dairy raw milk, if tolerated
- 1 teaspoon gelatin
- 1 teaspoon peppermint oil optional (You can make the cupcakes plain chocolate if you wish.)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Chocolate Mint Swirl Frosting (contains dairy)
- 1 cup butter at room temperature (2 sticks)
- 4 ounces cream cheese or chevre (pour off any liquid), room temperature; okay to replace with butter for GAPS
- 1/3 cup sweetener of choice: confectioners Swerve for Keto (or stevia, to taste), honey for GAPS, honey or maple syrup for Primal
- 3 Tablespoons cocoa powder fair trade,
- 1 teaspoon peppermint oil
- 1/2 teaspoon spirulina (optional) OR use beet powder or natural coloring for pink frosting
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Place liners in muffin pans. Set aside.
- Place warm and room temperature (no cold) liquid ingredients in a large bowl and mix: coconut butter, (sweetener if doing GAPS or maple syrup variation), melted coconut oil, eggs, full-fat milk, and optional peppermint oil.
- In a medium-size bowl, stir together dry ingredients: sweetener (if doing Keto or coconut sugar version), cocoa powder, coconut flour, gelatin, baking soda, and sea salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Stir to combine; do not over-mix. Scoop about 2 ounces of batter into each muffin slot.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Test for doneness with a toothpick; look for moist crumbs adhering. Remove from oven. Cool.
Chocolate Mint Swirl Frosting
- Place in a large mixing bowl: room temperature butter and room temperature cream cheese. Use a mixer on high speed to beat together well, until the texture is lightened, about 30 seconds.
- Add sweetener of choice and continue to beat until well incorporated.
- Add peppermint oil and optional spirulina. Mix again until fully incorporated. Scoop half or slightly less than half the frosting into half (taking care to keep it to one side) of a pastry bag (or fully into one pastry bag if you wish to nest 2 full pastry bags inside a third pastry bag to create the swirl).
- Add cocoa to the frosting bowl. Beat to mix, until fully incorporated. Fill the second-half side of the pastry bag with chocolate frosting; (or fill the second pastry bag with chocolate frosting).
- Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes. Serve!
Nutrition Info Per Serving :
- Calories: 521kcal
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Protein: 6g
- Fat: 53g
- Fiber: 6g
A quick swirl of two-tone, mint-chocolate frosting and a sprinkling of mini chocolate chips created Mint-Chocolate Chip cupcake perfection.
We love this recipe and we know you will too. This is as easy as it gets, so what is your excuse now? Get yourself started today and Stay tuned for more such keto weight loss journeys, health content, and recipes! Also, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram for the daily dose of the Keto Lifestyle!